Zucchini and Carrot “fries” are out of this world. They make a great snack or side to your chicken, Where you would normally throw a side of fries/chips or a side salad, why not throw the best vegetables you’ve ever tasted instead? Zucchini and carrot fries are an excellent addition to a plate in both color and flavor.
The trick here is roasting. Roasting at a high temp in the oven for about 20 minutes can work some serious magic. (Caramelization is always your friend.) Feel free to throw some other veggies in the mix too. Zucchini is my favorite because it takes on seasoning so well – but peppers, sweet potatoes, green beans, etc. can all be transformed in the same way.
Follow these simple steps and you’ll be on your way to making some shockingly delightful savory treats that you can feel awesome about.
1. Preheat oven to 425 F
2. Cut your veg into 8-cm/3-inch sticks, making sure they are even in thickness.
3. Line a baking tray with baking paper and a light layer of olive oil.
4. SEASON – go with the usual salt & pepper and branch out to one or two of the following (Choose Your Own Adventure-style): paprika, cumin, cayenne, crushed red peppers, thyme, rosemary, sage – really, whatever takes your fancy and suits your meal. Using premixed spice blends is a great option too – Italian, Mexican, Old Bay – you know, just not all at once. My fav all time seasoning is Cajunspice , works on everything
5. Lightly toss your vegetable batons with a tablespoon or so of olive oil (not too much) and the herbs and spices.
6. Spread your seasoned veg over your lined tray and roast, tossing halfway through, for about 20 minutes or until golden and slightly browned at the edges.