Colcannon is an Irish mashed potato dish mixed with greens and sometimes cabbage. This low-carb mash uses cauliflower in place of potatoes and added kale, which I have to say is really darn good!
- (6 cups) 1 large head cauliflower, cut up into florets
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 chopped scallions
- 1/3 cup fat free milk
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the cauliflower: Put the cauliflower in a medium pot and cover with cold water by at least an inch. Add salt, and bring to a boil.
- Cook, covered until fork tender. 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in a colander (reserving some liquid if needed).
- In the same pot, melt 1 teaspoon butter medium high heat and add the garlic and scallions, cook 30 seconds, add the kale, 1/4 tsp salt, cover and cook until wilted, 6 to 7 minutes.
- In a blender, puree the cauliflower with milk, transfer to the pot with the greens and add 2 teaspoons butter, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, keep warm.
- To serve, transfer to a bowl and top with remaining teaspoon butter.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 3/4 cup